For my latest Disney World post, i’ve decided to tell you all about what has become one of my favourite restaurants at Walt Disney World. Mama Melrose at Disney’s Hollywood Studios!!
Mama Melrose is an Italian Restaurant that’s based in the backlot/muppets section of Disney’s Hollywood Studios. I have dined at this Restaurant twice – once in 2014 and once in 2015. It’s a really under-rated restaurant but has fast become a favourite of mine – mainly due to their amazing steak – which I know is not very Italian – but its totally worth coming here for!
I will base this review on our most recent visit in November 2015, but I have to say that we experienced the same level of service and the same good food during our previous visit, which is why we wanted to return!
- We arrived slightly early for our reservation, but were told on arrival that they were running slightly behind schedule and we were given a pager and told to come back once it buzzed. We actually ended up entering the restaurant about 20 minutes after our reservation. This was probably the only downside of our whole experience here, but I get that they were very busy. If I had plans that the late dinner would have impacted I may have been tempted to kick up a fuss, but as we were just having a relaxed day with no fixed plans it wasn’t much of an issue for us. I guess the secret that is Mama Melrose must be getting out because it seemed to be very in demand!
- Once we were buzzed, we were taken through to the lovely dining area. It’s got a very homely feel to it – with twinkling fairly lights, and cute gingham curtains to separate off dining areas and make the experience more intimate.
- Our waitress was very helpful and checked on us throughout the meal to make sure everything was ok. Our food also came out without too much delay, which was good considering the restaurant was jam packed!
- We were brought bread, butter and olive oil with herbs for dipping. I love the Mediterranean tradition of dipping breads in oils so I really enjoyed these!
- We both ordered the steak for our main course. It was a charred strip steak with four cheese macaroni with Pancetta, aged basalmic shallot butter and a Chianti wine reduction. I cannot tell you how much I love this Steak!!!! When we came in 2014 it was so good that it became the best steak i’ve ever eaten. It continues to hold that award – the whole dish is absolutely delicious!! I think the shallot butter and red wine reduction makes the steak so flavoursome and the cheese pasta it comes with is the perfect combination! Steak and pasta… who knew?!
- For desert we had a trio of mini deserts – Amaretti Cheesecake, Tiramisu and Cannoli Cake. Each of these were really delicious, but my favourite was the Cannoli cake!
- We used the disney dining plan during our trip to Mama Melrose, which meant we could get a main course and desert for one table service credit. However if you are paying out of pocket I don’t think the prices are too unreasonable (for Disney World) considering the quality of the food. Main courses range from $17.99 (approx £12.50) up to $32.99 (approx £23) which is the Steak (and its well worth it!). You always pay a premium of sorts whilst eating at the theme parks, but compared to some sit-down meals i’ve had at Disney, i’d say this was pretty good value.
- Mama Melrose is also part of the Fantasmic dining package which means that if you book the $44.99pp package you can get an appetiser, main course, desert, non alcoholic drink and reserved seating at the evenings Fantasmic show!
We really enjoy Mama Melrose, and have been worried about recent rumours we have heard that it may close to make way for the new Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land that are being built at Hollywood Studios. No closure has been confirmed yet though and we hope the restaurant stays because it really is a hidden gem! Fingers crossed it will be around at Disney for a while yet!