Hello! Its time for my weekly recap on my training progress for the London Marathon, considering all of the distractions in the run up to Christmas it has been a pretty good week!
Monday : Gym Session
- Warm Up – 10 mins on bike (with a short cool down)
- 1.06 miles on treadmill switching between 6/8 mph – trying to build up my speed
- 1.03 mile brisk walk on a 8% Gradient
- 3 set of 16 – Leg Press @ 35 kgs
- 3 sets of 16 – Shoulder press @ 20 kgs
- 10 min cool down on the bike
Tuesday : Went for a 45 min run which was going pretty well until just after the first mile where I slipped on some wet leaves (more dangerous that ice in my book!) and rolled my ankle. Abandoned the run and hobbled home, as a precaution got ice on it and elevated it. Better to be safe than sorry.
Wednesday : Gym Session
- Warm-Up – 10 mins on the bike
- 2.18 miles on Cross-trainer level 7 resistance
- 1000 meter row on highest resistance as fast as possible – 4 mins 51 secs
- 15 mins brisk walking (4.5mph)
- 3 sets of 16 shoulder press @ 20 kgs
- 3 sets of 16 10 kg kettlebell
- 10 mins cool down on bike
Thursday : Rest Day
Friday : With Storm Barbra threatening to ruin Christmas I decided to move my run to Friday morning as it was supposed to be the calm before the storm.
So I ventured out at 8am to quote the weather man ‘get the best of the dry calm weather’ before the storm came through… how wrong was he! I was met with strong head winds, cold temperatures and rain but that didn’t stop me going and completing my 9 mile run.
9 miles – completed in 1:46:49 with average pace of 11.51 – with which I was extremely happy considering the weather conditions and how bad my previous long runs have been. The cross-training and strength work is definitely paying off, I managed to get negative splits between miles and I generally just felt stronger 🙂
Anyways as I type this it is Christmas Eve and like most of you I am super excited to see what the big man brings me over night and to have a good excuse to be merry and enjoy myself. So Merry Christmas 🙂
I’m running the 2017 London Marathon in aid of Children with Cancer UK. If you’d like to give me (and them) a super lovely Christmas present, consider sponsoring me by visiting my page here!