Got some leftover candy canes from the Christmas period and want something fun to do with them? Make peppermint bark! It’s as simple as melting some chocolate and crushing some candy canes, and you’ll end up with a delicious chocolatey pepperminty treat!
We first had peppermint bark on a trip to Disney World in 2015. It was a Christmas treat they were selling in the Magic Kingdom main street confectionary during Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party, so making it always reminds me of a lovely snow-filled Main Street USA!
You will need:
- A baking tray
- Tin foil
- Saucepan and a bowl which will sit on-top of it
- Milk and white chocolate for melting (4 standard size bars of each should be enough for an average size baking tray – our baking tray was mini so we just used 2 of each)
- Leftover candy canes
- First, cover your baking tray with tin foil, then place to the side.
- Break your milk chocolate into your bowl and bring half a saucepan of water to the boil.
- Place your bowl of chocolate onto your saucepan and stir the chocolate with a wooden spoon until it’s completely melted.
- Once melted, pour your chocolate onto your foil lined baking tray (carefully; the bowl will be hot) and smooth out into one even layer.
- Leave the melted chocolate to cool a bit (around 20 minutes should do it).
- Whilst waiting for the chocolate to cool, gently crush your candy canes into small pieces with a rolling pin or similar and put to one side.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 with your white chocolate, then pour it onto the milk chocolate and carefully spread it out so it covers the milk chocolate layer.
- Sprinkle your crushed candy canes onto your chocolate and refrigerate until the chocolate has hardened.
- Once cool, peel the chocolate from the foil and break into pieces!
Walla! You have peppermint bark! Now eat and enjoy!
Word of warning, this melts pretty quickly once you start touching it – so expect to get sticky fingers!