For Christmas, I gifted Gideon with Joe Wicks (the body coach’s) Lean in 15 cookbook. He loves his Instagram video recipes so the cookbook seemed like a good gift.
We have made two recipes from the book so far and I’ve loved both of them. We aren’t really following the lean in 15 plan, just cooking the recipes here and there and enjoying the delicious and healthy result. So it seems like money well spent!
I was flicking through, looking for a chicken recipe as that’s what I’d taken out of the freezer, and I landed on Chicken with Paprika and Almonds. It all looked great, I had all the ingredients in one form or another so it was easily do-able without an extra shopping trip. Except I don’t like almonds…. so I simply left them out!
So here is my take The Body Coach’s Chicken with Smoked Paprika and Almonds… minus the almonds!
I tend to keep bags of chopped veg in the freezer for cooking ease, so I used these to make the dish. They can all just be chucked in the pan straight from the freezer, making it mega simple and cutting down on prep time. Bags of frozen chopped onion, chopped mixed peppers, spinach, sweetcorn and runner beans all cost around £1 for a bag in places like Iceland – so not expensive. And, as most frozen veg are frozen just after picking, they remain packed with all their great nutrients!
Chicken with smoked paprika (serves 2):
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 handfuls of chopped frozen onions
- 2 handfuls of chopped mixed peppers
- 2 garlic cloves – finely chopped
- 4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, diced
- handful of cherry tomatoes
- 2 large handfuls of baby spinach leaves (or two balls of frozen spinach)
- salt and pepper
- juice of 1 lemon (optional)
1. Heat the olive oil in a wok or large frying pan over a medium heat.
2. Add the garlic, frozen onions and frozen peppers and stir fry until the vegetables are just starting to soften
3. Sprinkle your smoked paprika and dried oregano over the vegetables and then add the chicken and tomatoes to the pan. Stir fry until the chicken is fully cooked through (cut a piece and check theres no pink meat left).
4. Stir in the spinach (if using frozen, pop this in at the same time as your chicken to give it more time to cook) and stir until wilted.
5. Season with salt and pepper, and plate it up! We ate ours with some green beans!
I wasn’t sure I would like this recipe whilst I was cooking it as it smelt quite strongly of oregano at the beginning and I’m not the biggest fan of the smell, but the flavours all merged together beautifully and the taste was really good and not overpowering. I’ll definitely be making this again, it was so simple and easy to do, especially using the frozen veg, and it only used one pan, so less washing up! Result!
Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this post, I purchased the lean in 15 cookbook with my own money and all views expressed are my own.